St Lleurwgs’s parish church is situated in the centre the village and is part of the ecclesiastical Parish of Hirwaun. It was opened by the Bishop of Llandaff in July 1858, and therefore has recently celebrated its 150th anniversary.
History of St Lleurwg
Lleurwg is thought to be the welsh name for Lucius; a 2nd Century English King living in southern England. Little is known of him although his feast day falls on December the 13th.
The church was built in 1858 and was dedicated in that year by the Bishop of Llandaff.
The church building is remarkable in that it has a gallery which is untypical of an Anglican Church (however another church in the Deanery; the church of St Donat’s in Abercynon is similarly endowed.) The churchyard is approximately one acre in size and one early photograph shows no trees in the vicinity. The church appears to be the gift of the trustees of the Marquis of Bute. The church at that time is described as being perpendicular gothic and comprising of nave and vestry, the chancel window having three stained glass windows.